Saturday, 18 September 2010

Pigs in scarves

Ashdown Forest was originally a royal hunting ground where monarchs such as Henry VIII hunted animals. Here, we see a group of boar sent out to entertain the king. It was a cold day, so they put on their sensible hats and scarves to keep warm.

Pigs in scarves

Thursday, 16 September 2010

Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Ashdown Forest linocuts, final stage

Final layer of colour: I used a near-black, mixed from ultramarine, cadmium red, and cadmium yellow, adjusting the proportions to suit the underlying colours.

Ashdown Forest linocuts, final stage
Ashdown Forest, Looking South.
Five stage reduction linocut, 10 x 10 cm.


Ashdown Forest linocuts, final stage
Ashdown Forest, Autumn Morning.
Five stage reduction linocut, 10 x 10 cm.


The thing that I like about these prints is that I managed to keep the early layers very pale, which improves the contrast with the dark later layers.

The things that I don't like are some not-very-good drawing in places, and too many "Why did I cut that?" moments.

On with the next prints...

Sunday, 5 September 2010

Ashdown Forest linocuts, stage 4

I put the prints to one side for a day or two. When they're not going well, it's hard to find the enthusiasm to continue.

At last, I added another layer.

Ashdown Forest linocuts, stage 4

Ashdown Forest linocuts, stage 4

I think the new layers have improved the prints; the darker tones give them a bit more impact.

I'll probably finish them now.

Friday, 3 September 2010

Ashdown Forest linocuts, stage 3

Another layer on each of these prints.

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

And I'm still not happy. The second one has been particularly awkward. After printing a few, I noticed something wrong on the right edge of the print:

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

There's a strip of the underlying yellow layer showing down the edge of the print. It looks like misregistration -- but the left edge of the print is correctly registered. It's as if the block shrunk while it went through the press! The error is only a few millimetres wide, but that's enough to mar a small print like this (it's 10cm square).

After printing another copy I found that the error was consistent. I fixed it by hand-burnishing that edge before putting the block through the press, which seem to stick it in the correct place.