Monday, 30 August 2010
A blend from slightly-darker-than-before-blue to dull green.
Already a bit worried about this one; those ferns in the foreground are a bit feeble, though they're not meant to be finished yet.
And this one has a blend from dull green down to warm yellow, which is intended to become the gorse flowers.
But I'm already a bit worried about this one as well. The background hill is a bit wobbly, and what was I thinking about when I cut that light patch out of the foreground? What is it meant to be?
Saturday, 28 August 2010
Friday, 27 August 2010
Across the Downs. Five stage reduction linocut, 24 x 17 cm.
This is the view from the hill above Wilmington, East Sussex. The "Long Man" is just below, to the right. I'm looking west; the peak on the horizon is Firle Beacon. Just below it, you can see the steeple of Berwick church.
Thursday, 26 August 2010
Nice studio, too.
To watch in full screen, right-click the video, and then click Enter Full Screen.
See more pictures on Dave Lefner's website.
(Found here: http://jefferysaddoris.com/2010/08/dave-lefner.)
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
The greens on this layer are mixed from cadmium yellow with ultramarine blue instead of the cobalt that I used on the earlier layers. Ultramarine is warmer than cobalt; warm colours move to the front of the picture plane, increasing the sense of depth.
One more layer to go.
Tuesday, 24 August 2010
Yesterday, I was thinking about whether I should depict the landscape as it is (that is, wet and grey in England), or how it should be: warm and sunny.
Today, I realised the solution: Move to a country where the landscape is warm and sunny.
Sunday, 22 August 2010
As expected, the sky in the first layer was too dark. It doesn't look much like England.
There's a dilemma here. Do I make skies pale and grey, which is accurate and honest -- or do I make them warm and blue, which is cheerful and attractive?
What's the point of making pictures? To show the world how it is, or how it should be?
Saturday, 21 August 2010
Where: 19 Mill Road, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2RU.
When: August 28, 29, 30; September 4, 5, 11, 12: 12noon-5pm.
More information on the Artwave website.
Bother: I think already that the sky is going to be too dark. It's far too warm and sunny for a typical English summer sky.
Thursday, 19 August 2010
...and then an even darker layer. (There is actually a difference between these two pictures; it's clearer on the print than it is on screen.)
Venice. Linocut, 10 x 10cm.
This is view of the bridge over the Rio de Barcaroli, joining the Campiello dietro la Chiesa and the Piscina de Frezzaria.
Wednesday, 18 August 2010
Sunday, 15 August 2010
Saturday, 14 August 2010
Finished, at last. I printed some black-blue to make the details in the windows, the top of the tower, and the boxes at the front stand out.
St Mary Axe/Leadenhall. Five stage reduction linocut, 30 x 24cm.
This is the view from the steps of the Lloyds building in the City of London, looking east to the corner of St Mary Axe and Leadenhall. Like in so many places of the City, you get a sweep of architectural history in a single view. In the centre of the picture is the 16th C Perpendicular church of St Andrew Undershaft. To the right, there's a late Victorian office building, now a branch of Lloyds TSB; and to the left, a messy lump of 1980's postmodernism. Behind them all rises 30 St Mary Axe, better known as the "Gherkin".
This print has been a bit of a nightmare at times. It's only the second print I've done this big, and it's by far the most complicated: I estimate cutting the block took about 20 hours. I think I'm pleased with the result. And at least I've learnt something: don't use red Sharpie on lino.
P.S. Just noticed: This is my 100th post on this blog.
Friday, 13 August 2010
Thursday, 12 August 2010
I also fixed an error that appeared in the previous stage: the "Gherkin" was slightly tipping over to the right. Strangely I noticed it only when I put the photo on this blog. (I thought at first the photo was crooked, but it wasn't.)
Unfortunately, now I've put up this photo, I've noticed another error...
I'll let you try to find it, while I work out how to fix it.
Wednesday, 11 August 2010
Instead, it's slippery, and the linoblock moves when it goes through the press. A lot of the prints ended up like this:
A few printed correctly. The trick to get it to work seemed to be to put much less ink onto the block than usual.
It's going to be a very small edition.
Monday, 9 August 2010
But before I did that, I decided I still wasn't happy with the first layer, even though I'd got rid of that nasty red ink that was coming through. So I printed the block for the third time, using the original blue and grey colours. Then I was able to start cutting the block for the second layer, and printed it in darker shades.
Friday, 6 August 2010
Not sure about this; the hare is OK, but the grass and leaves in the background are a bit strong.
I've printed a blend from dark blue to salmon pink, at an angle. OK so far, but there's a long way to go.
Thursday, 5 August 2010
I reprinted the block in slightly warmer colours (but without the red!).