rabbit 100

21 October 2009

"Well done," said Clarissa. "Ninety-nine rabbits. You just have to do one more, and we'll be ready for Great Aunt Dahlia's one hundredth birthday party this afternoon."

"One more?" I cried. "No! I'm exhausted from all this rabbiting. I'm so tired, I can't lift my pencil any more... Are you sure she's one hundred? Could she be only ninety-nine?"

"She's definitely one hundred. You have to draw one more rabbit."

"It's no good, I can't go on." I banged my head against my desk. "She'll just have to make do with ninety-nine rabbits. I feel terrible."

I was sad and disappointed that I had failed to reach my target. I wrapped up the present that we'd got for Great Aunt Dahlia, and we hopped over to her burrow.

The party had already started. All of Great Aunt Dahlia's friends were there. "We got you this," I said, handing her the box.




"Thank you ever so much," said Great Aunt Dahlia. "I wonder what it is."

"Open it carefully!"

"Look everyone! Look what Bob Tail Rabbit brought me -- "


"-- the biggest bunch of flowers in the world!"

...


Late that evening, Clarissa and I stumbled home, tired but happy after the excitement of the party.

"Well done, Bob Tail Rabbit," said Clarissa as she made the cocoa. "You made it after all. I knew you could do it."

"Made it? No, I failed. I only drew ninety-nine rabbits."

"Oh, you silly Bob Tail Rabbit, look up there! You drew yourself carrying Great Aunt Dahlia's present! You drew one hundred rabbits... And then one to spare!"

"I did? I did! You're right! Good night, Clarissa!"

"Sleep well, Bob Tail Rabbit."